"The difference between classy and trashy is timing and planning." - David Crowe

Monday, November 29, 2004

Care - EE - okay

It would seem that the fate/karma/or the will of the great whatever conspired to ensure that I would experience some Karaoke over the weekend.

For those who don't know Karaoke (who I think a someone once said is Japanese for "Evil Wind") is when a bunch of drunk people of all ages, races, and creeds sing along to popular though often not good songs. Typically most of the people who sing have no business singing which they seem to think is funny. There will also tend to be two or three people who really can sing that go up halfway through the night in order to make everyone else who sang look like total crap.

Some things to remember when at a bar that is featuring karaoke:

1-If you didn't think you were a good singer when you walked into the bar, then you aren't, don't let your friends or that 5th drink let you think otherwise.
2-If you more than 2 women go up to sing, head to the bathroom. They are either going to sing an awful song (e.g. "Dancing Queen", "Redneck Woman", anything from "Grease") OR they know they are not that good so have brought their equally not good friends up for support.
3-You will be very lucky to hear good songs. The latest Ashley Simpson song will be sung or even worse Cher will be done at least twice. "Summertime" or "Gimme Some Lovin" will almost never be done.
4-If you see an older man go up to sing, stick around, as he'll likely be doing something decent by Sinatra or Mathis.

So why I am blogging about this activity that I clearly have such an affinity for? Well on Friday night my friends who I haven't seen in a while invited me to come out with them to a bar where this musical travesty was taking place. Since I had a small headache that I felt could easily be nudged to a brain-crusher at any moment I declined. On Saturday night I made me triumphant return to the bar I work at after a nearly three week absence. Now on Saturday nights starting about 9:30 pm we have karaoke of our own there. Typically I'm about out the door by this time of the night and so am spared most of this. However a party of 16 people who like drinking that I had been waiting on since 6:00 decided that they weren't yet ready to call it a night. So on this particular Saturday I was at work until 11:45 pm and had to suffer through all of the ear-splitting joy of karaoke in Sunset Hills, Missouri. So for this weekend at least, the karaoke gods had me firmly in their sights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home