"The difference between classy and trashy is timing and planning." - David Crowe

Thursday, May 08, 2008

The next challenge

Tonight I finished up the last few pieces of work for my MBA. As I emailed off these final contributions to my team (more on that in a moment), I felt some real closure in knowing that this particular task/challenge was done after almost two years of work.

I’ve complained about my MBA program at times. I suppose it was just not as balanced as I would like. When I say that, what I mean is that some of my courses were painfully easy, high school stuff. While others were so complex that professionals in the field would tell us students that they didn’t get what our professor was dishing out either. I’m up for a challenge but would hope it is at least consistent.

In the end I did find this program rewarding and useful. In particular, over the last year I have gotten in depth with the concepts of good project management. I think this was a wonderful area to study as it applies to almost any major project in any field, a very universal skill. More importantly the university allowed me to test this skill in a real life situation.

So many emails, so many late nights, this task really challenged me. This was especially the case as I was placed in the role of project manager. One day I am just another student, the next I am some kind of Donald Trump Apprentice team leader who must coordinate and lead the efforts of my peers. The job was full of many minor details, annoying simple tasks, and a few moments of serious thought and analysis. But given this is just how it would be at any job, what great experience!

I am very proud of my team and must admit, pretty proud of the fact that they seem to feel I was a good leader.

So now it is on the next challenge. Why another challenge so soon? It is easy to say that you are looking forward to getting back to a “normal” routine. Lately everyone has asked me if I will be relieved to be done with school. But I suppose I’ve come to re-learn over the last two years that the “normal” state of not being challenged is really a rut. We, at least I, need that next challenge, a new goal to work towards. There is no finish line, at least no permanent one. I let myself forget that once, after my first run in college. I don’t want to forget it again.

It is not that I am one of those people who has to have something big happening just to have something to talk about. I’ve worked with those types: the guy who always has a new scheme that will fail, the woman who is getting married or pregnant because she has nothing else interesting in her life. I don’t want that to be me, but I also don’t want to be running in place.

But the question is: “What should that challenge be?” That is probably what this weekend is for. About 8 hours after I post this I’ll be on a plane to Las Vegas for a well earned little vacation. It won’t be anything huge, just a couple of days. But I think I will use to the time to reflect and recharge. Hopefully I will come out of it with a decision about what is next and a plan to attack that goal.

Hey it is not the Rehab pool party at Hard Rock but it is productive.

Of course maybe I’ll make time for the party too ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home