"The difference between classy and trashy is timing and planning." - David Crowe

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Such a shame.

Up until now this calendar year has been a very busy at work. There is no need for me to go into details about this. First of all I make a point to not go into details about work here. That is not something for blogs. Secondly, I know that you, my fine readers, just are not going to be that interested in the intricacies of my office. After all, you have your own problems right?
That, in fact, is right to the point of my issue at work. All of us are under a lot of stress right now as massive changes and reorganizations are creating lots of uncertainty, confusion, and extra work for us all. While this provides a challenge, I am not greatly thrown by the extra tasks or added workload. Since late January I have been doing the work that was before done by two. In fact, I have at times been doing the work that as recently as December was done by five people. And I know I am not the only one.
But what has been bothering me today is that I seem to be the only one with that level of understanding and appreciation for out combined plight. I’ve been witness to more than one coworkers pushing off work on an already overloaded colleague. To say nothing of the gossipy whispers that go from cube to cube as some try to gauge who is doing what and what is or isn’t fair.
I can’t help but wonder how much more would be getting done if the gossip time was replaced with work.
I can’t help but wonder how bad an individual’s performance is affected by the distraction of wondering what the others are saying.
I’ve been plugging along, but I can see that some of my more sensitive coworkers are cracking. I have the luxury of knowing my value, but some don’t have that certainty. So now I am left to wonder what motivational words or corrective actions could help right the ship.
In the end we will be ok. No one’s life is at stake as part of our day to day jobs, and that is something to be remembered. It is a shame that the high school traits of groupthink, gossip, narcissism, and self-absorption can still be prevalent in the most adult of situations.
We can only aspire to be better.

No tips or advice here. Just wanted to get in on the page.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home